Important Rosewood or Cocus and Silver Flute by Edward Hopkins, Troy NY 1842-43
Current price $750.00
Listing type Chinese
Location Syracuse, New York 132** US
Quantity sold 0
Quantity available 1
Seller excelsiorcornetband (1465)
Seller rating 100% positive feedback
Brand Edward Hopkins
Body Material Rosewood
Experience Level Expert
Headjoint Material Rosewood
UPC Does not apply
IMPORTANT EDWARD HOPKINS FLUTE, BUILT C.1842-43
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE DESCRIPTION, AND THE AUCTION TERMS BELOW, BEFORE BIDDING!
Greetings! I offer this extremely rare flute by Edward Hopkins of Troy, NY. Edward Hopkins was the son of the famed Asa Hopkins of Litchfield, CT, aka "Fluteville." I have been able to find a few examples of his fifes in collections, but I have not found any flutes of any sort by this maker whatsoever, so this is AN EXTREMELY RARE AND IMPORTANT INSTRUMENT. Based on the information I can find, it was built in about 1842-43. It appears to be made of rosewood throughout, although possibly cocus; with silver mounts and 8 silver keys, 6 salt-spoon and 2 pewter-plug (after Potter's patent) on the C-foot for low C# and C, all of which have turned-and-carved box mounts. It is marked on the barrel, upper, middle, and lower body joints "HOPKINS / TROY". The headjoint seems to show faint traces of the same marking but I'm not sure. It does appear to be original. The headjoint and barrel are metal-lined with German silver tubes. The instrument plays D to d at about A=450 (High Pitch) and has a sounding length from the center of the embouchure to the end of the C-foot of 578mm/22.75". Overall length is 660mm/26".
CONDITION: Cosmetically good overall, nominally playable, but it will require an expert keys-off overhaul to be fully functional. There are very old, nicely-repaired cracks in the headjoint and the 3 body joints. The barrel shows no cracks or repairs. At some point it was repadded with what appear to be leather clarinet pads. Silver keys are tarnished and will require polishing. The low C# pewter tone-hole ring is loose, and I assume pewter plugs will also require some attention to seat properly. The instrument is sold AS-IS with no warranties. See pictures. WYSIWYG.
PLAYING QUALITIES: Not fully playable, although I can produce the entire compass for two full octaves EXCEPT the low C# and C. It is sold as a collectible or for restoration only. NOTE that I make no representations made about its suitability for your intended use.
ACCESSORIES: NONE: No case. See pictures; WYSIWYG.
SHIPPING: Insured shipping via USPS will be $50. Located in Syracuse NY. BUYER IS WELCOME TO PICK UP THE ITEM AND PAY UPON PICKUP.
NOTE: I will sell only to the final recipient/end user. I WILL NOT sell to 3rd-Party buyers/reshippers such as SEKAIMON or US-BUYER. NO EXCEPTIONS. 3rd Party buyers/reshippers will have their bids cancelled and their user IDs blocked.
THE STRAIGHT DOPE: Although it needs work to be playable, this is an extremely rare and important flute by Hopkins of Troy and would make a superb addition to your collection. All sales FINAL unless I determine that I significantly misrepresented it. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the instrument itself. Thanks for looking and good luck bidding!
TERMS: HERE ARE THE _10__ SIMPLE RULES_ FOR THIS AUCTION.
PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THEM BEFORE BIDDING:
1) YOUR BID ON THIS ITEM INDICATES THAT YOU HAVE READ THE DESCRIPTION, AND AGREE TO THE TERMS BELOW. _NO OFF-EBAY SALES. IF YOU WANT THIS ITEM, BID PER EBAY'S RULES._
2) _DO NOT PAY UNTIL YOU HAVE RECEIVED AN INVOICE FROM ME, VIA EBAY'S CHECKOUT SYSTEM._
3) _PAYMENT BY EBAY'S PAYMENT SYSTEM ONLY, WITHIN 3 DAYS OF INVOICE, OR ON PICKUP BY PRE-ARRANGEMENT._ _NON-PAYING BIDDERS WILL BE REPORTED._
4) NO RESERVE, SO BID TO OWN IT.
5) SOLD STRICTLY AS IS. IT'S A USED ITEM, NOT A NEW ITEM. I HAVE STRIVEN TO REPRESENT IT ACCURATELY. NO REFUNDS UNLESS I DETERMINE IT TO BE SIGNIFICANTLY MISREPRESENTED.
6) SHIPPING: _INSURED SHIPPING VIA USPS WILL BE $50. U.S. BUYERS ONLY._ BUYER IS WELCOME TO PICK UP THE ITEM AND PAY UPON PICKUP.
7) SALES TAX: BUYER PAYS SALES TAX PER EBAY'S POLICIES.
8) FEEDBACK WILL BE LEFT FOR ALL TRANSACTIONS. IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH THE ITEM, PLEASE CONTACT ME BEFORE LEAVING FEEDBACK, AND I WILL DO MY UTMOST TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE TO YOUR SATISFACTION. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH THE ITEM AND TRANSACTION, PLEASE LEAVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK WITH ALL 5-STAR RATINGS.
9) I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CANCEL BIDS FROM SUSPICIOUS OR DEMONSTRATED NON-PAYING BIDDERS.
10) I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO END THIS LISTING EARLY IN THE EVENT THE ITEM IS SOLD LOCALLY.
I DO MY UTMOST TO HONESTLY AND ACCURATELY DESCRIBE AND PICTURE MY ITEMS. THE PICS TELL THE STORY. MESSAGE ME WITH QUESTIONS PRIOR TO AUCTION CLOSE, I'LL GLADLY ANSWER. IF YOU WANT TO PHONE, MESSAGE ME FOR MY NUMBER. ALL YOU NICE HONEST FOLKS OUT THERE, THANKS FOR LOOKING! HAPPY BIDDING AND GOOD LUCK!
SEE MY OTHER AUCTIONS FOR MORE GREAT MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS, VINTAGE MODEL KITS, BOOKS, AND STUFF!
SAXHORN CORNET TRUMPET KEYED BUGLE CORNO WALDHORN VENTILHORN VIENNA HORN BERLIOZ SYMPHONIE FANTASTIQUE GRAVES WRIGHT TROMBONE TUBA BASS HORN POST HORN SERENADE RACETRACK RACING EQUESTRIAN COACHING
100% of buyers gave this seller positive feedback.