Current price $139.09
Listing type Fixed Price Item
Location Commerce, CA 900** US
Quantity sold 0
Quantity available 0
Seller simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping (420495)
Seller rating 98.6% positive feedback
Format Paperback, 286 pages, 3rd Revised edition Edition
Recommended Age Range 12+ years
Brand Taylor & Francis Ltd
_Understanding Video Games _is a crucial guide for newcomers to video game studies and experienced game scholars alike. This revised and updated third edition of the pioneering text provides a comprehensive introduction to the field of game studies, and highlights changes in the gaming industry, advances in video game scholarship, and recent trends in game design and development-including mobile, casual, educational, and indie gaming.
In the third edition of this textbook, students will:
* * Learn the major theories and schools of thought used to study games, including ludology and narratology;
* * Understand the commercial and organizational aspects of the game industry;
* * Trace the history of games, from the board games of ancient Egypt to the rise of mobile gaming;
* * Explore the aesthetics of game design, including rules, graphics, audio, and time;
* * Analyze the narrative strategies and genre approaches used in video games;
* * Consider the debate surrounding the effects of violent video games and the impact of "serious games."
* Featuring discussion questions, recommended games, a glossary of key terms, and an interactive online video game history timeline, _Understanding Video Games_ provides a valuable resource for anyone interested in examining the ways video games are reshaping entertainment and society.
98.6% of buyers gave this seller positive feedback.